Sunday school was organized on December 6, 1874 at 1124 Mifflin Street, with an enrollment of seventy-one. No name was established for the gathering. A large tabernacle was erected at 1300 Mifflin Street when the first building became too crowded. In May of 1875 the new edifice was started on the two deeded lots given by Miller, Wharton and Anderson at 15th and Moose Streets. The 28 by 48 foot building was dedicated on February 13, 1876 with a seating capacity between 300 and 400. This building was overflowing at both the afternoon and evening services. The building was named Second Methodist Episcopal Church.
The congregation grew and desired additional space with completion being in the year 1892. The name was changed to Fifteenth Street Episcopal Church. In 1897 the organization became a corporate. Still growing spiritually and in number the congregation voted to erect a new auditorium on May 16, 1926. In 1962 construction was again evident as the new educational addition was completed. The name was once again changed to Fifteenth Street United Methodist Church in 1968. In 1999 the upstairs of the educational wing was renovation for more classrooms and meeting areas.
We know you will find the congregation to be a sharing, caring group of people committed to serving God and doing God’s work in the community.